Kindergarten at St. Patrick School is a time of creative expression and joyful engagement. Our classroom teacher, Ms. Cawley, provides an environment where children feel nurtured, valued, challenged, and supported. She encourages risk taking and making mistakes to foster a love of learning. Parents are welcome to volunteer in the classroom to read books; to help students during lunch; to work on classroom projects, and to assist during Centers time.
Ms. Cawley believes that the classroom environment should be safe, friendly, happy, and fun. Students need structure and consistency with the right amount of fun mixed in so they look upon school as an enjoyable place to be! When given the opportunity, a child can achieve so much. It is our job to help each child develop at his/her own rate while providing a structured and safe environment to do so.
- Language Arts featuring phonics instruction, weekly library visits, and guest storytellers.
- Writer’s Workshop focusing on printing skills and story creation
- Math learning with manipulatives and real-world problem solving
- Science themes with hands-on experiments
- Monthly school masses with seventh grade “buddies”
- Community awareness field trips
- Instructional aide
- Bi-weekly music exploration
- Integrated artwork projects complementing current curriculum
- “Thinking Center” enrichment
- PE program emphasizing gross and fine motor skills, and good sportsmanship
- Technology used in support of creativity
There’s no better way to integrate our kindergarten students into the school and build their confidence than through the nurturing of one of our older students. Kindergartners are paired up with seventh grade “buddies”, who include them in clan activities, participate in academic and social projects, attend mass and prayer services together, or just give them a hug and a quick hello on the blacktop during recess or after school.
Our after-school KinderCare program is a play-based gathering held in the Kindergarten classroom. It includes snack-time, homework-time, craft activities, supervised outdoor play, and indoor quiet play. KinderCare is offered daily until start of our Extended Care program held at the end of the regular school day.